We have been talking about Groundhog Day this week in Kindergarten. We learned that if a groundhog sees his shadow that means we will have 6 more weeks of winter. If the groundhog does not see his shadow it means that spring is right around the corner. We also found out some interesting facts about groundhogs and Groundhog Day.
- Groundhog Day is celebrated in America and Canada on February 2nd.
- They live in a burrow.
- They are also called woodchucks.
- Every year in Pennsylvania a groundhog named Punxsutawney Phil comes out of his burrow to see his shadow.
- His first performance was on February 2, 1887.
- Phil is only correct in his prediction 37-39% of the time.
We made a prediction, or a guess about whether or not he would see his shadow. We watched the news and found out that Phil did not see his shadow, so spring will be around the corner soon!