Today we discussed this week’s blog Challenge which came from the Journalism class at Cactus Canyon Junior High School in Apache Junction. Their question was about memories. I asked my students what the word “memories” means. Their responses were that a memory is something that you want to remember from the past, it could be a good or bad memory that you want to remember, and a memory will help you remember things from a long time ago.
I then asked them to think about the memories they have had from Kindergarten 2013-2014. I gave them some think time and then the responses began coming in. They were so excited to remember the activities that we had worked on together.
Here were their responses:
- We used the word-wall and wrote the words around the room.
- We learned our ABC’s with Alphie the Alligator
- We dressed up for Halloween and came after school dressed up and got candy
- We got to use I-pads, computers and Netbooks during centers
- Enjoyed cut n’paste papers
- Our study about bats and echolocation
- We did teamwork and work together on a project for Mrs Watanabe
- Studied about numbers and shapes
- We worked on building puzzles with our friends
- Enjoyed singing the “morning song” every morning at circle time
- Zero the Hero came to visit us on days ending with zero
- We learned how to read books
- We painted wooden blocks of wood for pumpkins
- We helped our new friends to learn new things at school
- Pete The Cat says “You get what you get and you don’t throw a fit!” and his other saying – “It is all good!”
- During the month of December, Merry Jingle Bright elf came and visited us each day
- We have to be good at school and follow the rules
- We planted and grew a marigold flower plant
- Playing on the big first grade playground
- We performed for our parents at Thanksgiving
- Mrs Dalley brought us in a Thanksgiving Feast to taste test food items
- The Cat in the Hat came to visit us during Dr Seuss Week
- We had a big celebration on the 100th day of school
- We studied about penguins and had a life-size penguin balloon come to class
- We learned some BIG words such as mammals, regurgitate, cornucopia, nocturnal, decompose and metamorphosis to name a few
- I guess we have been very busy in Integrated Kindergarten this year!
What memories do you have of Elementary School?