Welcome to our blog!

| 26 Comments

Welcome to a new school year and to our new class blog! We are a class of fifth grade students in Arizona. We’ll be telling you more about ourselves and our school as we write this blog.

This is the view outside our classroom

We started school last Tuesday, August 9. It has been very hot outside, but inside we kept cool as we explored the new technology we’ll be using in our class this year. On Tuesday we tried out our brand-new netbook cart. It’s a good thing the cart holds 32 netbooks, because there are 31 students in our class! We looked at some other class blogs and websites and planned what we’d like ours to include. We also used our new Smartboard to play an online Jeopardy game.

On Wednesday we learned how to use an iPod touch. We’re lucky to have eight iPods which we’ll take turns using this year. We explored a few of the educational songs and apps on the iPods; it looks like Stack the States is going to be a class favorite!

On Thursday we used the Smartboard to look at posts on several different class blogs. We paid special attention to the comments sections and we started a conversation about what makes a good comment. We noticed that the best comments were polite, thoughtful, and used proper spelling and grammar. Blogging is a new experience for all of us this year, so it’s a good thing there are so many great class blogs out there to teach us more about it! We will start writing our own comments next week.

On Friday we brainstormed what to write about in our first blog post. We talked about all the new things we learned and did this week. Some people wanted to write about the activities and games we played in class, and some wanted to talk about our new choices in the school cafeteria. After a vote, we decided to focus on the technology we used this week.

At the end of the day on Friday we filled out a survey on the netbooks. One of the questions was: “What are three words that describe your first week of fifth grade?” Mrs. Hamman took all of the responses and pasted them into a Wordle. A Wordle creates a “word cloud” from text, with the words used the most often appearing largest. Here is our first week of school Wordle:

It looks like our most commonly used word to describe our first week was “fun”!

What was your favorite thing about our first week of school?

What kinds of technology help you to learn?

26 Comments

1. Pretty good it was exactly like I would have put it.

2. I like that you had a very informational blog.You put alot of the stuff that we did on Friday.I especially liked the wordle that you put on the blog.

3. great stuff I like it.

4. Mrs.Hamman your blog is incredible.It tells what tech we used and what we did on them.

5. I am proud to be your Principal and I am thrilled that you think learning is fun. Looking forward to traveling on your fifth grade journey with you!

6. Thanks for teaching me how to create a wordle.The wordle is so cool do you think you can tell me how you did your wordle.I still like the class blog but we need alot more pics or a video.

7. This website is the best.

8. Hi, Mrs.Hamman. I really liked our blog it looks awesome so far. I wish I could write and put pictures and videos in but I really like the blog but I like the picture most of all. Well good luck on the blog.

9. I love your blog.I absolute loved the wordle on the bottom of the page and your writing that was there in the middle.I also love the picture that you took it looks very pretty in the mountains.I love being in your class.

10. I like the Picture that you put on your blog.

11. You are a great teacher to me Mrs. Hamman.

12. Mrs. Hamman,

How are you doing? I like our blog.

Austin

13. Our blog looks very cool. I am so glad I got Mrs.Hamman’s class. Love your blog.

14. Love our blog hope to see more post. Love being in your class.

15. I love our blog because it is awesome.

16. Interesting because it has wordle, and one good picture. It is very descriptive.

17. Awesome Mrs. Hamman! Your students have great comments.

18. G’day Mrs Hamman and students,

Thanks for registering for the September student blogging challenge. Make sure you visit the blog every week beginning September 12, when the first challenge will be published. If you want a reminder sent to your email each week, use the “Subscribe by email” on the right sidebar of the blog. Also make sure you visit blogs from other classes around the world.

Miss Wyatt or tasteach – challenge organizer

19. Mrs. Hamman and class,

What a great post. I can hear the excitement in the student voice. The Worlde speaks volumes. Kids’, keep up the great work. It looks like you have a teacher who has you engaged in lots of great work. I will make sure that my class visits your blog for examples of complete post that are fun to read and look at.

20. Pingback: Class Blog Activity 4 – Getting your posts and commenting started : Teacher Challenge

21. dear Mrs.Hammans class,

I love your blog . It looks fantastic! You guys are a wonderful class.This blog looks like you have a lot of books your class read

from
    Elly

22. Hi Mrs.Hamman, I think that the blog is very good so far.
    What do you plan on doing next?

23. This a great blogging site, keep adding more exiting events!Keep up the good work!:D

• Thank you for your comment! We will keep writing, please visit whenever you get a chance.
      Sincerely,
      Mrs. Hamman

24. Pingback: Writing your first posts on a class blog « Help@ShikshaBlog