Mrs. Renzulli's Class Blog

4th Grade Bloggers

My Arizona Tanka

May10

Grand Canyon HDR Panorama from S. Rim

Creative Commons License Akarsh Simha via Compfight

Tanka is a short Japanese verse that contains five lines. Line 1 contains 5 syllables; line 2 contains 7 syllables; line 3 contains 5 syllables; lines 4 and 5 both contain 7 syllables. These are some amazing Tanka poems written by 4th graders. Which one is your favorite? Do you think you can write your own?

My Arizona Tanka

By:Gwendalyn

Hot Arizona.

You see lots of scorpions.

There is beauty there.

The cacti there is awesome.

Arizona is the best.

Arizona Tanka

Grand Arizona

A very colorful state

Snakes slither around

The beauty is a delight

The mountains are high and nice

By: Penelope

My Arizona Tanka

By:Gracie

Hot Arizona.

It is so colorful there.

The cacti is green.

My favorite color is gold.

Arizona is awesome.

My Arizona Tanka

Beautiful snakes rock

They live in Arizona

It is so hot here

It is very beautiful

Arizona has hot air.

By: Krisalyn

“My Arizona Tanka”

1. May 12th, 2016 at 4:07 pm      Reply Logan Says:

I love doing these they were fun to do thank you so much.

2. May 12th, 2016 at 4:08 pm      Reply Penelope Says:

Gwendalyn you are describing Arizona in a great way!

3. May 12th, 2016 at 4:10 pm      Reply Gwendalyn Says:

Gracie your poem is giving a lot of information about Arizona and I loved that about your poem.

4. May 12th, 2016 at 4:10 pm      Reply Penelope Says:

Great adjetives Gracie!

5. May 12th, 2016 at 4:11 pm      Reply Gracie Says:

Penelope your poem is very cool and I like the part where you said the beauty is delight .

6. May 17th, 2016 at 10:44 am      Reply Gwendalyn Says:

Penelope I loved how you said in your poem that Arizona is a very colorful state I got this picture in my head about Arizona and it was very colorful and I loved that about your poem!

7. May 17th, 2016 at 10:47 am      Reply Ohzeaya Says:

I like how we can explore under water just like when google came and let use do that explore thing on the phones

8. May 17th, 2016 at 10:48 am      Reply Bella Says:

These are amazing! I am sure there are some other tanka’s that are wonderful.

9. May 17th, 2016 at 10:50 am      Reply Christilyn Says:

I really think they did a good job or a great job! I liked Gracie’s poem because she thought of the details of Arizona very clearly.

10. May 17th, 2016 at 10:54 am      Reply Katie Says:

These Tanka’s are amazing.

11. May 18th, 2016 at 10:11 am      Reply Mrs. Renzulli Says:

Why do you think this type of poem is used?

• May 18th, 2016 at 10:19 am      Reply Gwendalyn Says:

They are explaining something out of syllables and they want you to understand about that subject so they put it into a poem.

• May 18th, 2016 at 10:26 am      Reply Gwendalyn Says:

I think that they want to teach you about that subject but to make it easier they put it into a poem like lets say Arizona you would write about Arizona.

12. May 18th, 2016 at 10:16 am      Reply Logan Says:

I think these are used because to describe something. We discribed Arizona.

13. May 18th, 2016 at 10:19 am      Reply Logan Says:

I like your poem Gracie it is a great way to describe Arizona

14. May 18th, 2016 at 10:20 am      Reply Gracie Says:

So that probably when new comers come they would know about more of Arizona and all the other great adventure’s.

15. May 18th, 2016 at 10:20 am      Reply Anabella Says:

From looking at these tanka’s, it looks like they write these poems to describe things. I was looking up how to spell tanka correctly, and I found out that tankas are also called uta’s or wakas.

16. May 18th, 2016 at 10:21 am      Reply Johnny Says:

I think these type of poems are used to describe something or someone it teach’s you to learn your syllables and more Arizona facts about the things you do on it.

17. May 18th, 2016 at 10:23 am      Reply Christilyn Says:

Because it represents Arizona. And Arizona is where you live so its to represent Arizona and to give details what Arizona is like. It helps to know how to describe Arizona.

18. May 18th, 2016 at 10:26 am      Reply Gracie Says:

I think so that people from different state’s will understand some part’s of Arizona if they where to move to Arizona.

19. May 18th, 2016 at 10:27 am      Reply Ethan Says:

I think this Arizona tanka is used to tell people a little bit about Arizona and how it is but they can read it as short poem.

20. May 18th, 2016 at 10:27 am      Reply Anabella Says:

Tanka’s are a good way to describe different things. In this case they describe Arizona. This selection of tankas describe Arizona correctly and accurately. Thank you wonderful tanka writers!

21. May 18th, 2016 at 10:28 am      Reply Charity Says:

I think these Tankas can help you learn your syallables and also they describe something

22. May 18th, 2016 at 10:29 am      Reply xavian Says:

They can be weird from time to time you can get used to them.

23. May 18th, 2016 at 10:30 am      Reply Penelope Says:

I think they are written so tourist can learn about Arizona.

24. May 18th, 2016 at 10:33 am      Reply Rosi Says:

You can understand what Arizona looks like.

25. May 18th, 2016 at 10:34 am      Reply Katie Says:

This is used to describe something specific like how we did AZ.

26. May 18th, 2016 at 10:35 am      Reply Isabella Says:

I like your Tanka Gracie it tells a lot about Arizona!

27. May 18th, 2016 at 10:38 am      Reply Isabella Says:

Penelope I like how you explained that Arizona has beautiful colors!

28. May 18th, 2016 at 10:39 am      Reply Katie Says:

Tanka’s are used for describing and stating things about places, things, and people.

29. May 18th, 2016 at 10:40 am      Reply Brian Says:

I think it is used to help people to learn more about Arizona and it describes more about Arizona.

30. May 18th, 2016 at 10:41 am      Reply zachary Says:

I think poem is used to help you learn more stuff and to
    get you better at more stuff and to tech them to describe
    stuff.

31. May 18th, 2016 at 10:42 am      Reply Alley Says:

They are explaining the something out of symbols and they want you to understand about that subject so they put it into a poem.

32. May 18th, 2016 at 10:43 am      Reply Miguel Says:

That the poems will help us use to be better at making poems.

33. May 18th, 2016 at 10:43 am      Reply kaitlynn Says:

Why we do these types of poems is because we just want to let our hearts out about Arizona.

34. May 18th, 2016 at 10:44 am      Reply timmy Says:

I love doing poems.

35. May 18th, 2016 at 10:44 am      Reply Nash Says:

I think a poem like this can help you learn and understand Arizona facts and history.

36. May 18th, 2016 at 10:45 am      Reply Katie Says:

Tanka’s are great things to use because they help you learn facts about specific things.

37. May 18th, 2016 at 10:47 am      Reply Ohzeaya Says:

I like doing these things and hope we can do it next year it was so fun.

38. May 18th, 2016 at 10:48 am      Reply krissy Says:

I think that it helps you learn about new stuff to.

39. May 18th, 2016 at 10:48 am      Reply Joe Says:

Gracie’s your’s is telling a lot of information about Arizona in it and was really good.And i liked it a lot.

40. May 18th, 2016 at 10:49 am      Reply timmy Says:

i love how your guy’s poems tell so much of arizona.

41. May 18th, 2016 at 10:49 am      Reply Anabella Says:

Gracie, Gwendalyn, Krissy and Penelope your tankas rock. I enjoyed reading them and I believe your tankas were worth posting. I am sure there are some more quality tankas that are worth posting. These tankas were written to describe Arizona and they are doing a great job telling readers every little detail that makes Arizona what it is today. The girls who wrote these put a lot of details in them.

42. May 18th, 2016 at 10:52 am      Reply emilio Says:

I Think Tankas are poems that explain things with a pattern.