Mrs. Bliss' Dragon's Den

Hello world! We’re visiting … New Zealand

by Garrett and Zach

written for Edublogs Student Challenge #2

AttributionNoncommercialShare Alike Some rights reserved by swisscan

Why we chose New Zealand

We chose to visit New Zealand because it snows from December 22nd to May.

We also chose New Zealand because you can explore the natural cave called Waitomo caves. Some of the interesting things in the Waitomo caves are you can row down a river and see natural Stalactites and Stalagmites.

What’s interesting about New Zealand

What’s interesting about New Zealand to us is the beautiful scenery and green land all around and the lush trees everywhere, you can even go sheep chasing! The most interesting thing is the caves! The caves are so unique because the Stalactites and Stalagmites are amazing! If you touch them they will stop growing because of the oil on your body.

Questions we have about New Zealand

The questions we have are how many more snow boarders there are than skateboarders?

How many sheep there total in all of New Zealand?

Also we want to know the total perimeter and area of New Zealand?

Questions/Answers you might have about New Zealand

What do you want to know about New Zealand?

What should we know about New Zealand that we didn’t write about?

8 comments ↓

• #   JoAnn Jacobs on 10.03.11 at 8:46 pm     Reply

Aloha Garrett and Zach,
    Did you know that the South Island has 18 peaks over 9,800 feet?
    That’s my contribution. New Zealand is a fascinating country and there is so much to learn.
    A hui hou,
    Mrs. Jacobs

• #   kbliss on 10.04.11 at 2:24 pm     Reply

Hi JoAnn, This is Zach and no I did not know that New Zealand has 18 peaks over 9,800. I agree that New Zealand is a fascinating country.

What does a hui hou mean/is/do?

Your friend,
      Zachary

• #   Tanya Paterson (@paterson_t) on 10.03.11 at 8:24 pm     Reply

Hello!
    Well, I love that you shared some great facts and information about New Zealand. What can I share or add?
    Did you know that New Zealand is a Constitutional Monarchy just like Canada is? Yup, we still look up to the Queen.
    One day I’d love to visit New Zealand. Enjoy your adventure.
    Ms. Paterson
    Stony Plain, AB Canada

• #   kbliss on 10.04.11 at 3:03 pm     Reply

Hello Tanya,
      I also knew Canada was a Constitutional Monarchry, my mom taught me a little about Canada. Canada is also a beautiful country, you can do heaps of snow boarding. The snow in Alberta, Canada doesn’t even melt until May, I think.

Is it still true that the snow doesn’t melt until May?

From your new friend,
      Garrrett

• #   Sandy Millin on 10.03.11 at 11:47 pm     Reply

My mum went to New Zealand for a month last year and I was very jealous of her! Did you know about all the different types of landscape there? There are sulphur fields, glaciers and modern cities. You can use Google Street View to walk around Christchurch.
    Great questions!
    Sandy

• #   kbliss on 10.04.11 at 4:14 pm     Reply

Sandy,
      Hi! Garrett and I love the way you say Mum! We were guessing that your’e from Austrailia. We knew about some landscapes, like all the caves, and fields of green grass, but we didn’t know that there were sulpher firelds in New Zealand. We kind of suspected that there were modern cities and glaciers, but that’s still very interesting to find out about sulphur fields. We really think the Waitomo caves are one of the most interesting things in New Zealand. They are so interesting!

What’s your favorites of New Zealand? Can you please tell us what a Sulpher field is?

Your Friends,
      Zach and Garrett

• #   Brian Killgore on 10.21.11 at 11:03 am     Reply

Hi Zach and Garrett,
    Your post brought back great memories. My wife and I were in New Zealand last October and loved everything about it. The scenery was amazing and the people are so nice. To answer one of your questions – I think it’s pretty safe to assume there are more sheep than people in New Zealand (population four million). We also saw big herds of cows and deer. Be sure to look up a place called Milford Sound on the west side of the South Island. The mountains start right at the water and go straight up. We took a boat ride and had dolphins swimming next to us the whole trip back to the dock. It was a little scary getting used to having the steering wheel on the other side of the car while driving on the other side of the road, but it was worth it. We are definitely going back to see more. I have lots of pictures if you ever want to see them. Great job guys. Brian

• #   Jon Castelhano on 10.23.11 at 9:08 am     Reply

Hi Guys,
    Great post! When I was in high school we had a student from New Zealand visiting for a semester. His family actually were sheep farmers and he lived on an amazing ranch that looks like your picture above. Not sure about snowboarders, but there are a few amazing motocross riders from New Zealand, Ben Townley and Josh Coppins are among the most successful.
    Jon