Passionate Prickly Pear Jelly!

Posted in Science, Social Studies & Culture | 15 Comments »

the juicer to create prickly pear juice

Fourth grade kicked off a new unit on Arizona Native tribes on September 16, 2011 by making prickly pear jelly!  Here are some pictures of the students working.  We paired with Mrs. Martinez’s class to do this project.

Enjoy!

Mixing the juice with lemon juice and pectin

Do you have any questions for us about our prickly pear jelly?

15 Responses to “Passionate Prickly Pear Jelly!”

1. […] Go here to see the original: Mrs. Goucher's Class Blog – Passionate Prickly Pear Jelly! […]

2. […] post: Mrs. Goucher's Class Blog – Passionate Prickly Pear Jelly! Filed under: news | Tagged as: arizona, arizona-native, grade-kicked, new-unit, prickly-pear, […]

3. cody says:

Dear Mrs. Goucher and class,

I remember when I made prickly pear jelly. that was lots of fun. I remeber when I picked prickly pears and I have gotten a lot of thorns in my hand. please reply to my comment.

Yours truly,

cody

• annelyse says:

Dear Cody
      sorry you got thorns in your hand if it happens again just put your hand in hot water and the thorns come right out or you can use glue I know because I stepped on a cactus onece

sincerely
      annelyse

4. Mrs. Grabowski says:

Dear Mrs. Goucher and Class,

• Mrs. Grabowski says:

I just wanted to thank you for the delicious jelly that Jessica brought home. Our whole family really enjoyed it.

5. Will, Zoe says:

Dear,Cody
    I am sorry you got thorns in your hand. Here is a tip to get the thorns out
    of the prickly pear. Use a lighter. If you get thorns in your hand, use duct tape!

your friend,
    Zoe and Will

6. kimberly,stefani says:

Dear Cody,
    Thank you for commenting on our blog.Maybe one day you can make prickly pear jelly with your class.we are sorry you got thorns in your hands.Next time you should wear gloves and burn the prickly pears with a litter,but make sure to have adult supervision at all times.

your friends,
    Kimberly,and Stefani

7. ayrinna and faith says:

Dear Cody

Thank you for sending this note and sorry that you got thorns in your finger.
    you should use tongs.

from
    Faith and Ayrinna

8. ayrinna and faith says:

Dear Cody

Ya, the prickly pear jelly was fun to make. We hope that you get to make it next year.

from faith and
    ayrinna

9. Will, Zoe says:

Dear,Mrs.Fraher class
    I like your blog. I thought your blog was going to be pink.

your friend,
    Zoe and Will

10. hunter and cierra says:

Dear cody,

I hope your hand is better. were glad you liked the prikly pear jelly.
    Thank you for writing the commet to us.Did you like the prikly pear jelly?

Sincery, Cierra and Hunter

11. Brandon and Heath says:

Dear Mrs.Goucher’s class,
    we wish we could do it again. We wish to do all the activities again.

from,
    Heath
    and
    Brandon

12. Heath's Mom says:

I enjoyed getting to come help the kids make the prickly pear jam. Thanks for letting me be there!

13. olivia says:

Dear Cody,
    I’m sorry you got thorns in your hands. Next time you should try to use gloves and tongs or maybe even get an adult and let them burn off the edges.

your friend,