Fraher's Class and Friends

3rd Graders Connecting Around the Globe

Christmas Turtles for Our Kenya Buddies!

December23

We are doing this project for our Kenya Buddies at Bensesa School. They are really nice. They are from Kenya, Africa near the rainforest. They have some orphans in their school. We made some stuffed toy turtles for them because we wanted to let them know we are thinking of them for Christmas. We did this in December because that was when we sent them. We did it to make them feel good. We also raised money to send to them by selling pencils during our lunch break. Can you believe we raised $282 for them. Mrs. Fraher sent the money to them so they could get supplies for the school and take care of the children that go there.

This is how we made the stuffed toy turtles. First, we cut out cloth using a paper shaped like turtle. We pinned the paper shape to the fabric and cut it out. Next, we sewed it together with a sewing machine. We left a two inch space so we could put the stuffing in it. Then, we stuffed it with stuffing. We hand sewed the two inches together ourselves, but you can use a machine to do it if you want. Last, you cut out a two inch square cloth. We hand sewed it but again you can use a machine. I had fun doing this project and hope you do too if you want to make one! Here are some photos of us doing it.

by Nathan

Pictures!

Just the Facts!

Sea turtles are almost always submerged. Sea turtles possess a salt gland in the corner of their eye. They eat jelly fish and if you put trash in the ocean it is unhealthy for the turtles so don’t put trash in the waters. Do you have sea turtles where you live? If not, what kind of turtles do you have?

Print Friendly

“Christmas Turtles for Our Kenya Buddies!”

1. December 23rd, 2011 at 2:13 pm      Reply Tracy Watanabe Says:

Dear Nathan and Mrs. Fraher’s Class,

I love what you’ve done! It’s so fabulous to see your generosity and thoughtfulness in making Christmas presents and raising money for them. How does it feel to do something for someone else and expect nothing in return?

Warm regards,
    Mrs. Watanabe

2. December 23rd, 2011 at 5:56 pm      Reply Mrs. Krebs Says:

Dear Nathan,
    Great job on your post, but especially great job by the third graders for making turtles and raising $282. That was awesome!

I’m curious, though, why did you choose to make turtles? Is that your mascot? Or the mascot of Bensesa students? Was it because they were roundish and easier to make?

I’m very impressed that you used the sewing machine to stitch the turtles. Very nice!

Sincerely,
    Mrs. Krebs

• December 31st, 2011 at 11:35 am      Reply gfraher Says:

Mrs. Krebs,

Thank you for your comment. I am very proud of my kiddos. They sacrificed their lunch break and rallied to raise money through a school fundraiser that they organized completely themselves…including designing the flyers using Google Doc to promote their fundraiser. There are two reasons why we chose to do turtles. We read a nonfiction article about sea turtles and their plight. The kids seemed to connect to it. We follow a blog about a group of scientists that are tracking a couple of sea turtles in Hawaii. The second, and probably the more important reason, is that they are easy to cut out and sew!

3. December 24th, 2011 at 2:41 pm      Reply Lilly Says:

Dear Mrs. Frahers class,

I had fun making the turtles. I had a rough time sewing them by hand though. I made 2 turtles because the class in Kenya had more kids then us. I was the first person to sew. So, when I did it we started in the wrong spot because I was the first you know. I still had a fun time though. Did all of my classmates have fun also? Write back soon.

From, Lilly

4. December 24th, 2011 at 8:42 pm      Reply JoAnn Jacobs Says:

Aloha Nathan & Mrs. Fraher’s Class,
    What a wonderful way to make your buddies feel special! I am sure they will be surprised and happy when they receive your gifts.
    Congratulations on sticking with the sewing, I know it couldn’t have been easy. Is there a special reason for sending turtles?
    A hui hou,
    Mrs. Jacobs

• December 31st, 2011 at 11:31 am      Reply gfraher Says:

Dear Mrs. Jacobs,

Thank you for your tweet. It is always exciting to see comments and visits from people around our great country and the world. We chose turtles for two reasons. The first reason was a nonfiction article we read about sea turtles and a blog we visited about scientists in Hawaii who followed a couple of sea turtles. The second reason is that they are really easy to cut out and sew because of their round shape. I think maybe this was the most important reason! Thanks for your blog comment.

5. December 27th, 2011 at 12:04 am      Reply Ross Mannell Says:

Dear Nathan and Mrs. Frahers class,

One of the greatest things is to give to others without expecting something in return. Your class must be full of amazing people to collect money and make gifts for others.

I hope you all have a wonderful year in 2012. :)

@RossMannell