Hello!

February 7, 2012

This is my first attempt at blogging. I had a difficult time trying to decide what I should focus on, and then it hit me. How about a book review blog? I have a favorite book that I have read several times. I think you will enjoy reading it, too. I have read it to my classes now for about four years. After you read my book review, think of a book that you really enjoy, and add your comments about it to this blogging site. You may comment on mine, too, if you want.  I will be watching for your participation!

“Ollie, Ollie, In Come Free” by Nicole Rocheleau, is about a 6th grade (soon-to-be 7th grade) girl and some of her friends. The story begins with Emmy hiding in a tree while playing hide-and-seek. She finds that she is not able to get down out of the tree, and ends up falling on the boy that she has decided that she will marry, breaking his arm and knocking out her front tooth. Emmy tells the details of the whole ordeal in an interesting way, giving the reader a clear picture of 6th grade emotions, ideas, and friendships. There are lots of humorous things that happen to Emmy, her bestie, Ryan, and her future husband, Gavin, as well as her arch enemy, Buffy. This book definitely keeps your attention! It also grows…there are two other books about the same group of friends, seeing them through the 7th grade and then through the 8th grade. You are sure to enjoy them all.

Entry Filed under: Uncategorized. Posted in  Uncategorized .

18 Comments Add your own

•    Tracy Watanabe  |  February 25th, 2012 at 5:58 am     Reply

Hi Mrs. Fugate,

Your blog looks great! You asked what my favorite book is and I believe the book I loved reading with students the most was The BreadWinner by Deborah Ellis. It’s a wonderful book about children of war overcoming their circumstances. This book takes place in Afghanistan. Have you read it before?

Regards,
    Tracy Watanabe

•    efugate  |  February 29th, 2012 at 11:25 pm     Reply

Hello! I haven’t read that book yet, but it sounds interesting. I’ll bet my students would like it, too. Thanks for the info!

•    Amber  |  September 26th, 2013 at 8:33 pm     Reply

I had to read that for a report. It’s really good.

•    Miss W.  |  February 25th, 2012 at 10:18 pm     Reply

G’day Mrs Fugate,
    I was moderating comments on the teacher challenge and worked out how to find your class blog. A book review blog is a great idea.

I have just started a similar blog at the eSchool where I teach one day per week. If you and your students would like to visit and leave comments, feel free http://eschoolread.edublogs.org

•    lporter  |  June 5th, 2012 at 8:46 pm     Reply

I remember reading this book when you had my son for 6th grade. It was a very good book, and now I want to read it again. It was also very nice to meet the author!

•    Mrs. Wallace  |  September 17th, 2013 at 3:08 am     Reply

Mrs. Fugate,
    I am excited to follow your blog because I love to read. I look forward to seeing what books students from your classes recommend to us all.
    Warmly,
    Mrs. Wallace

•    efugate  |  September 17th, 2013 at 2:47 pm     Reply

Mrs. Wallace,
      Thank you for your comment. I know that one of your favorite books is “Witch of Blackbird Pond”. It is mine, as well. In fact, I read it again this summer! Would you like to do a review of it? I would appreciate having you contribute to my blog.
      Thanks!
      Mrs. Fugate

•    Mrs. Wallace  |  September 26th, 2013 at 3:02 am     Reply

I would love to do a review of the book the Witch of Blackbird Pond. I will read it over fall break and then post my thoughts. I look forward to sharing my thoughts with all of you.
        Warmly,
        Mrs. Wallace

•    Natalie  |  September 26th, 2013 at 5:44 pm     Reply

My favorite book is “Ruby Holler”. It’s about two twins that live in foster care because their parents died and the state took them there. People take them to their house for a couple days then they end up taking them back. But one old couple picked them up and didn’t take them back. But Florida, one of the twins, had nightmares and they ran away but found themselves back at Ruby Holler and lived there again. Later they found themselves in an adventure and had a crisis Florida and her “dad” almost died! They got back home and Florida still wanted to move but she got used to Ruby Holler and her and her twin lived there for the rest of their lives!

•    Kaleb  |  September 26th, 2013 at 6:55 pm     Reply

i have been really enjoying that book 😀

•    Kaleb  |  September 26th, 2013 at 7:29 pm     Reply

The book Peter and the Star Catchers is one I really enjoyed. It’s about a boy named Peter who has no home and no family. He is being sent to a kingdom across the sea. When cargo was being loaded aboard the ship Peter was going to be on, he noticed a strange box on his way to the ship. I don’t want to spoil the book for you so I’ll ask questions like what kingdom is Peter going to? Or what’s in that strange looking box? I recommend that you read this book and find the answers to these questions.

•    Amber  |  September 26th, 2013 at 8:36 pm     Reply

I love this book!!! The whole class is excited to see what comes next! It’s really page turning!

•    Rose  |  September 26th, 2013 at 8:40 pm     Reply

This book is super good so far. I can’t wait to see what happens next!

•    Tamara  |  September 26th, 2013 at 8:43 pm     Reply

Ms.Fugate,
    This book is very interesting. You are reading it to us in class and I love it. I wish I owned it.
    Tamara

•    Allison  |  September 27th, 2013 at 5:06 pm     Reply

Everyone has their own favorite. My favorite book is “The Hunger Games “. It’s about a girl named Katniss Everdeen, her sister Prim, and her mom fighting for survival in District 12. Katniss was chosen to fight for her life in an arena named the Hunger Games. The story is very interesting and exciting. You should read it sometime.

•    Natalie  |  September 27th, 2013 at 5:34 pm     Reply

My favorite book is “Ruby Holler” by Sharon Creech. It is about two twins who are in foster care because their parents died and the state put them in there so another family could take them home with them. The problem was no one wanted them after a couple days and then would take them back. But one old couple took them home and didn’t take them back. One of the twins, Florida, didn’t like them though. She would have nightmares, so she told the other twin that they’re going back to foster care and ran off. Their new “parents” saw that they were gone and went out to find them. They succeeded. After that the twins and the “parents” went off on an adventure, but there was a crisis, Florida and her “father” almost died! After that the twins loved their new “parents” and lived with them for the rest of their lives!!!

•    Priscilla  |  September 30th, 2013 at 5:45 pm     Reply

Everybody has a favorite book. Mine is “My Teacher Is An Alien”. When I first started to read it I thought it was weird. It is a book that is interesting, funny, and keeps you on the edge of your seat. As I read and read it got me on the edge of my seat.