The World of Our Grandparents – Blogging Challenge Week 6

For this week’s blogging challenge, we decided to take a little twist to it. Students are asked to work with their family to answer the following two questions. Grandparents are also encouraged to leave their own comments for us. Thank you!

Question 1: Survey the students. Where were their grandparents born? How many are immigrants to the country they now live in?

Question 2: What is the most important invention created since your grandparents were born? You might need to ask them and others of their generation.

8 Responses to “The World of Our Grandparents – Blogging Challenge Week 6”

1.   Mary Beasley
    October 22nd, 2013 | 9:41 pm       Reply

I am Cassandras Great Grandmother. I was born in Gilbert, Arizona The most important invention in my lifetime would be television.

2.   Janice Baker
    October 23rd, 2013 | 7:45 am       Reply

Hi! I am Cassandra’s grandmother, and I was born in Mesa, Arizona. Most of my family were born in Gilbert or Mesa. My mother’s family are descendants of the original Mayflower voyage in 1620 from Plymouth, England to what is now America. Cassandra’s grandfather is Jim, and he was born in San Francisco, California. His family is originally from Kearney, Missouri, which was a small farming community near Kansas City. His grandmother went to grade school with Frank and Jesse James, the men who robbed trains. The most important invention in our lifetime would be the computer.

3.   Maria (Cassandra's Mom)
    October 23rd, 2013 | 8:42 am       Reply

I am Cassandra’s mom and my mother, Cassandra’s grandmother, came to the United States from Honduras, Central America. Abuelita Reina now lives in Hawaii. One of the most important inventions in Abuelita Reina’s lifetime would be the internet.

4.   Diane, Easton's Gramma
    October 24th, 2013 | 11:38 pm       Reply

I was born and raised in Mesa, AZ–not too far from Apache Junction. In my lifetime, technology has changed so much and made my life so much easier, but Easton is smarter than his Gramma when it comes to the computer! The invention of mini size chocolate candy bars is pretty neat too!

5.   Allie
    October 25th, 2013 | 9:07 pm       Reply

My Grandpa, Clyde was born in Idaho,1940.He was a millwright at Kaiser Aluminum in Spokane, Washington. Great grandpa, Phillip blood was born in North Dakota,1901. He drove a truck state dept. Great grandma , Sadie Blood was born in Idaho,1908.She was a cook in restraunts. Grandma, Ruth Blood was born in Iowa,1946. She worked as a special ed aide for the school district. Great grandpa, A.D. Barnes was born in Iowa,1925. He was a farmer all his life. Great grandma, Marjorie Barnes was born in Nebraska,1926.She worked in a grocery store and helped with farming. My grandpa and grandma think the important inventions are computer and cell phone.Sincerely, Allie

6.   Aneecia's Great Grandfather
    October 25th, 2013 | 9:13 pm       Reply

Start of the Decade; In the 1920’s…Flappers & gangsters culture
    arose; Prohibition was enacted, women gained the right to
    vote, commercial radio revolutionized media & modern automobiles
    started their, on equally modern assembly lines!
    band aids 1921
    Traffic lights
    Hair dryers
    Latex
    Jungle gyms
    Warren G. Harding (president 1921-1923)
    Television 1925″
    Masking Tape
    pre-packed sliced bread 1928″

Several products we take for granted today!

BEST PART OF THE 1920 was my Great Grandfather Martin Rabin was born
    on Dec 31st 1921 in Brooklyn New York, lived in Coney Island
    He went into the Army in 1942
    He fought in World War II
    From 1940-1945 he was a Paratrooper!
    He met the love of his life in 1945
    He than married her on Oct 20th 1946 to Pauline Cohen aka my Great
    Grandmother they had 3 boys & 3 girls just like the show The Brady
    Bunch.

7.   Em
    October 26th, 2013 | 12:01 pm       Reply

To Mrs. Tucker,

I asked both of my grandpas. One grandpa said the computer and the smart phone.

My other grandpa wrote to my mom with his answer, “The most significant invention created in my lifetime was the heart-lung machine, which enabled surgeons to perform open-heart surgery, and without which I would have probably died 15 or more years ago. So, you see, it’s the most important invention TO ME. You might explain that the heart-lung machine circulates the blood throughout your body during surgery, while the surgeons perform the heart operation. You will recall that I had my procedure June 10, 1992.”

I wrote about it here.

From,
    Em

8.   Kaylynn
    October 29th, 2013 | 7:52 pm       Reply

My grandpa Mohn was born in Illinois and
    The best invention is the cell phone