Overview of benefits and what MBC can do
My Big Campus (MBC) is a safe learning management system that is user friendly, and familiar to many students and teachers because of its similarities to FaceBook or Edmodo.
Some of the benefits of using MBC include:
- it’s a safe, collaborative online learning environment
- it works with our web filter, Lightspeed, which will open up YouTube for student learning
- it’s cloud based, accessable on our school devices (thin clients, netbooks, Chromebooks, and iPads), and can be used at home by connecting to MBC on the Internet
- teachers have all the bells and whistles of creating content bundles (online lessons or units), giving assignments, grading assessments, opening discussion boards for students to communicate and discuss topics in a safe, online environment, and much more
- students are empowered by voicing thoughts, opinions, reflections, learning, and thinking via discussion boards or chat rooms
AJUSD students and faculty already have access to MBC with your AJUSD username and password used to login to your AJUSD e-mail. Just put in your username and password like the example below, then click in the find school box and start typing your school name, it will appear and then click the link. (Note: If you don’t click the link, it will not recognize what you’ve typed in the box, therefore, make sure you click the link).
More Tutorials for Logging In:
Set up Groups for your Class(es)
Groups are used to “group” together the members of your online class. In a Group, you can communicate with the group members through announcements, discussion boards, custom content (called “Bundles”), share resources and links, video chat with other classes, and manage a group calendar of assignments and important dates. You can even make portions of the group public for parents to view.
Enrolling Students as Group Members
The next step is student enrollment in your Group. You have a choice of enrolling your own students by typing their names in, or students can enroll themselves.
Menu Items in Group
- Home: This will include your class description. You can set any page you’ve created as the Home page (such as a class syllabus, workshop agenda, group instructions, or educational photos/video).
- Announcements: Announcements can be used by the teacher to share quick ideas or resources. For example, “View this video to look for evidence of the author’s claims. Write down the evidence and we’ll talk about it tomorrow.”
- Discussions: This is a forum or chat room to discuss ideas. You can have a threaded discussion here (that’s where members can reply to certain comments, and it indents the reply under the comment). Discussions can be closed which means there is a time frame for students to respond and discuss, and that discussion can be closed at the end of the week (or whenever you choose). Note: There are moderators at MBC that monitor all discussion room content 24/7, therefore, you know that it’s a safe environment for them to discuss. Another note: It’s a good idea to have your first discussion about Digital Citizenship.
- Chat: This is a good place for a “backchannel.” The teacher can also start a video chat with another online member. This is a place where students can chat about things not specific to a Discussion. Note: The Chat room is NOT filtered, which means you can’t delete it. Therefore, if you want to remove content, you’ll need to contact MBC Customer Support. Also, you can turn this feature off if that’s your preference.
- Pages: This is a good place to add pages that you’ve created such as worksheets, lesson plans, rubrics, etc. You can make any of these pages your Home page. Also, you can add pages and decide when you want them to be visible, or whom they will be visible to. Therefore, if you wanted different assignments for groups of students, then you can individualize and personalize their content here. Note: You can also give students editing rights to the pages.
- Resources: Here’s where you can organize your resources into folders and subfolders by units, lessons, classes, etc. You can add all of your content
- Calendar: All assignments and events will show on this calendar. The calendar can also send them reminders in MBC, in email, and as a text message. Students can also turn in their assignments through the Calendar. You can also verify if they’ve seen the assignment through the Calendar.
More tutorials about Groups can be found by clicking these links:
- Join a Group
- Create a Group
- Group Members
- Group Notifications
- Group Announcements
- Group Discussions
- Group Chat
- Group Pages
- Group Resources
- Group Calendar
- Click here for a tutorial video walking you through Groups.
In the next blog post, we’ll explore Schoolwork, which is creating assignments and assessments for students.
- What tips or questions do you have about the benefits of MBC, logging in, or groups?
Note: I chose to create this class as a blog post instead of within MBC because I wanted this information more visible to our AJUSD family.