We will use this post to help guide our discussions during our Prospector University class.
Click here to view this cube.
For our class today, these are some of our links and our agenda:
1. Jigsaw Common Core Standards — Find standards that digital storytelling will address:
2. Defining what good digital storytelling is
4. Storyboarding and more explanation
5. Production — Choose the technology
- Easy to use on netbook? Chromebook?
- Little Bird Tales
- Animoto for Education — (See tutorial of Animoto for Education if needed)
- VoiceThread — (See tutorial of VoiceThread if needed)
- Voki for Education
- Picture Trail
- Smories – We are looking for a “sign up” link for this site
- ACMI Storyboard Generator
- Soo Meta
- Pixorial for Educators
- Smilebox ***For teacher computers only because of download
- Remember to look at the terms of agreement and think about how to use it in your class.
- It’s wise to see other content the students can get to from the site to make sure it is appropriate.
6. Images and music
Images and Creative Commons: Have students create their own images, take their own photos, or find photos that have Creative Commons Licensesand have them properly cite the photo either on the same page as the picture or at the end.
Background music and Creative Commons: If there is not music to choose from on the app or site, then find music that is legal to use in your video. I select music from the list suggested by Creative Commons. However, background music is not a necessity, especially if it’s new to the class. Melody Loops was suggested by Cheri Springer, and Dano Songs by Gina Fraher.
Production: Before production, I treat this part of the process much like I would the rough draft of a writing assignment with editing and revising. Here’s where the mini-lessons come in about voice, word choice, etc. I like to conference with my students to make sure they are ready for production, then I allow them to start once they’ve gathered all of the photos and music (optional).
7. Publish, share, reflect, and celebrate