Setting Up Your Class Blogs

This post is written for the Prospector University Online Class, Edublogs Teacher Challenge.

This post is written for our AJUSD staff. Please refer to the Edublogs Teacher Challenge for expanded explanations, discussions, and details.

What is a blog?

Why blogging?

Some reasons and benefits of educational blogging are:

• Sharing learning with others, including parents/guardians and families.
  • Writing for an authentic audience.
  • Motivation that occurs when others respond to the post and comments.
  • It addresses Common Core Writing Standard #6: Use technology, including the Internet, to produce and publish writing and to interact and collaborate with others. Note, the Kindergarten Common Core Writing Standard #6 states, “With guidance and support from adults, explore a variety of digital tools to produce and publish writing, including in collaboration with peers.” — Blogging is a fabulous way to address this standard.

Examples of Class Blogs

This list was adapted from Sue Waters’ list to include some AJUSD blogs as examples. When there wasn’t an example at that grade level, I used the one she suggested.

1. Kindergarten Duckling – Kindergarten
  2. Miss Mewhorter’s Class– Grade 1
  3. Mrs. Miller’s Class – Grade 2
  4. Fraher’s Class and Friends – Grade 3
  5. Mrs. Yollis’ Classroom – Grade 3
  6. Mrs. Moore’s Class – Grade 3
  7. Mrs. Goucher’s Class – Grade 4
  8. 4KM and 4KJ @ Leopold Primary School – Grade 4
  9. Mrs. Hamman’s Class – Grade 5
  10. Mr. Avery’s Classroom Blog – Grade 6 (More math geared)
  11. Mr. Miller’s Classroom Blog – Grade 6 (More Social Studies geared)
  12. Year 6RC​ — Grade 6 class in Australia
  13. Huzzah – Grade 6/7
  14. Mr. C’s Class Blog — William Chamberlain’s Classroom Blog for 6th-8th grades
  15. SCC English — This is a college class blog for English, ages 11-18 years old
  16. Head Outta the Book — High School English Class
  17. American Studies — High School American Studies
  18. Biology in Action — High School Biology Blog
  19. The Edublogger class blog list — includes Math, Science, English, History, Library, School news blogs and more!
  20. Search the Edublogs Directory for more — includes individual student blogs, class blogs, professional blogs, and campus blogs
  21. Scott McLeod’s list of many, many more educational blogs by types and disciplines

Sign Up for Your Class Blog

Go to to create your own blog.

Screen Shot 2014-09-26 at 7.57.42 AM

Logging into your blog

Screen Shot 2014-09-26 at 7.58.11 AM

Customize Your Username 

Your username is the same as the district’s username. This cannot be changed. However, you can change your display name. For example, my district username is twatanab, however, I could change my display name to Mrs. Watanabe.

It’s important to change your display name to something students and your audience will connect with, such as your name.

For our Prospector University Class, you’ll need to customize your name.

Customize Your Blog Theme

This is how you customize the look of your blog.

When choosing a theme, look for one that is “mobile ready”. That means readers can easily read the blog on any device. Edublogs’ list of these themes is here: Responsive and Mobile Ready Themes.

For our Prospector University Class, you’ll need to customize your blog.

Setting Up Pages

This section is about setting up pages, and the pages you should have.

For our Prospector University Class, you’ll need to have an About page. A Blogging Guidelines page is optional.

Writing Your First Post

See this link for examples and step-by-step instructions: Writing your first posts – What you need to know

For our Prospector University Class, you or one of your students will need to write your first post.

Next Steps

These activities are not required for our Prospector University class, but give you some ideas for next steps to try.

Final Thoughts

If you are reading this post as part of your Prospector University Class, please comment below by answering some of the target questions, and share your link with us so we can visit you.

How did setting up your blog go? How do you feel about it?

How do you plan on using your blog with your class?

Do you have any questions?

Leave a comment below with a link to your blog so we can visit you.

21 thoughts on “Setting Up Your Class Blogs

1. I am accustomed to using blogs on other sites so it will take a little while to feel comfortable maneuvering around edublogs. It doesn’t appear that the html of the themes can be altered which I feel is a little restrictive creatively.

I’m hoping to integrate blogging in the classroom next year when all of my students will have laptops. Meanwhile I can use my current sophomores as guinea pigs to figure out how I want to implement blogging.

• Hi Kristin,

It took me a little time to adjust to the dashboard in Edublogs also, but then once I did it was very intuitive and easy to navigate.

I’ve been able to change the background image and header image to something I’ve created and customized the colors to fit my overall theme. But started with one of their themes first.

Happy blogging!

2. Setting up the blog was fun and user friendly, I thought. I use Word Press for our online school newspaper, so I was already familiar with many of the features and with the layout of the site. I enjoyed all of the options and various tools I’m able to use in making the site more effective and enjoyable for my students.

I look forward to the day when all of my students have laptops and we can use this site often, but for now, I hope to at least get a few of my students on there and experimenting with it.

Thank you for the resources and tools!

3. Hi Ms. Sutton,

Yes, it will be nice when all of our students have their own device for one-to-one in our classrooms. I am glad you are not waiting for that to introduce them to blogging.

Happy blogging,
    Mrs. Watanabe

4. Pingback: Blogging First Steps | AJUSD Campus Blogs

5. I originally set up my classroom blog at the beginning of the year.I have to be honest, with everything else going on , the blog was put on the back burner. Initially , when setting up my blog I found it to be very user friendly. After taking this course online and looking at the blog, I realized that my blog was missing some key elements, such as the About Us page and the Guidelines page. I just added these pages tonight and found them very easy to add (the examples that were provided were handy to have to see where to begin). I know that as I spend even more time with it I will be able to navigate edublogs even better and learn some key tricks. If you have any that you would like to share, I am always willing to learn.
    Even though it is starting to get late in the school year I am hoping to start introducing some of my students to blogging. Blogging will definitely be something that will be introduced early next year. The blog will be a great resource for students to use to show what they know about given topics and to showcase their writing skills.
    Here is the link to my blog: if you have any suggestions for my blog I am always looking for ways to improve.

6. I have set up my blog, and I do feel like it is something I will be able to utilize once I really get it going. I plan on figuring out the media and social media links, and I know that it will be useful for my kids- especially those who have chrome books. I plan to practice with it a little more the last few weeks of this school year, and hopefully will implement stronger in my curriculum next year. It will also be great for kids who are missing work and need to make up work. I like it for the collaborative possibilities, and I found a great “blog guidelines” that I used. The link for my blog is

• The last full week of school I have a choice board that I am using for my 2D 3D classes on DaVinci. Two of the choices can easily be connected through my edublog. The first is for kids to write a letter applying for a job that they feel highly qualified for through natural talent and/or experience. I can use the blog to provide links for effective cover letters and the letter of application that DaVinci wrote when he secured a position in the King’s Court. I can also allow for comments from classmates on student applications (which I usually have to do on paper or google docs. I can also link some of the DaVinci medical illustrations to my blog, and have students write a crazy health question and respond through an answer forum based on information from DaVinci’s illustrations- specifically the inner ear and muscle layout. I also plan to set up for student artwork to be shown on facebook, artsonia and pinterest via my blog.

7. Setting up my blog was easy, for the most part as I use wordpress to blog about more personal subjects. I felt okay about it; there’s still a ton of work to do on it.

The goal of this blog is to give our speech students a set of resources that they can use at home with their parents/guardians. The hope is that they will have more of an opportunity to further their skills outside of the therapy setting.

No questions at the moment, but I’m sure I can manage to ping you with one or two when they come up!

8. Here is the link to my blog–

I spent quite a bit of time setting up my blog originally because understanding technology does not come easily to me. I thought long and hard at the time and decided that I would do a book review blog. We used to have students do numerous book reports, but that seems to have gone by the wayside. I decided that a book review blog might be a way to practice summarizing skills as well as a way to entice others to read good books, new and classic. To be honest, I enjoyed the challenge but did experience some frustrations in the initial set up. Now I look back and am proud of the way it has turned out. I was able to get some students to post their reviews on it, I responded, edited as necessary, and accepted them. Your morning meetings at SMES helped me start to utilize my blog. I basically had students go to my blog when they completed a class assignment ahead of others, so there are several contributors at this point. However, I don’t have access to computers very often, so there has been some time lapse since the last post.

9. I worked my way through the PU class and made several additions to my blog. I added my blog link under my e-mail signature so that parents and/or teachers can access it. I added an About Page and a picture of me onto my site. You will notice that I also added a calendar Widget and a page Widget. These were all areas that I was able to figure out as I went through the activities, but had no knowledge of previously. Please let me know if there is more I need to do to fulfill the requirements of this class.

10. Hi! I am really excited about setting up a class blog. I just posted a comment and page. I’m just learning how to navigate! I have a few questions about importing lessons or work for students. Can I scan documents and attach them to my blog? I am hoping to put samples of student work on my class page. Thanks!

11. Hi! Setting up the blog was actually a lot easier than I anticipated it was going to be. I’m excited to start integrating this in to class during the second semester and at the beginning of next year. The blog will be used as a resource where students can post and find news articles that are related to what we have been learning in anatomy. It will also be used as a way to share the projects and labs we’ve been working on in class.

12. Thanks so much for the great instructions! You made it a quick and easy process to set up a blog and I had a TON of fun choosing my theme! 🙂

-Miss Connell

• I’m so glad the class was useful to you! You’ll be amazed at the impact blogging has on your first graders.

Shauna Hamman

13. Wow! What a powerful tool for students to have their own blog! I was concerned about doing this project…but the further I looked into it the more intrigued I was getting. This process was so easy and my students were so excited. That is all that they ask to do when we have free time in the classroom, “Can I work on my blog?” LOL! Thank you and I am thrilled to see all their posts and interactions throughout this year.

Many thanks,

Marina Renzulli

• It’s awesome that you’ve taken on the challenge of supervising a group of student bloggers! I know it will be a rewarding experience for them. There are some great examples of student blogs out there. Here’s one of my favorites, from a 6th grader in Australia: Life in the Mind of Tom.

Shauna Hamman

14. I originally took this course last year and had good intention of doing a lot with my blog this year. Unfortunately, time just seemed to get away and all those good intentions did not happen. I am glad that I was able to go through the videos and have them to remind me how to customize the theme and things of that nature.

• I did the same thing when I first started blogging! It took me two years to really get into the swing of it. I think blogging is worthwhile even if you don’t do it all the time. I’m glad to see you’ve taken it up again! (P.S. I love the colors and theme of your blog!)

15. I just got done making a blog post about summer reading on my blog. I am hoping to use this as a gateway to get my students interested in blogging . I have asked them to make reading suggestions for me for this summer.