Hey guys! The Lockwood crew has teamed up with another school right in our very district! We are working with Mrs. Hamman’s 5th grade class from Four Peaks Elementary in Apache Junction Arizona! How cool is that. We will be using the Video Conference Equipment to talk with their class! Both classes have been working very hard on the concept of scaling using multiplication? You as yourself, what’s scaling? It is basically Multiplication of fractions! Here is the cool part, this week we have been working on creating word problems using this scaling method. The Lockwood crew has worked on adding irrelevant information to make the problem more challenging. Take a look into what problems we came up with and see how Mrs. Hamman’s class tries to solve them! Feel free to comment and try the problems yourself! I just wont publish your comments until Mrs. Hamman’s class has had a crack at them!
Problems created by our 5th grade students in the Lockwood Crew with modifications mad by teacher!
- Mr. Lockwood’s class went on a field trip to the science center with 70 kids and 15 chaperones. 2/5 of the kids brought a sandwich for their lunch. 5/7 of the chaperones also brought a sandwich for their lunch. Exactly how many total kids brought a sandwich for lunch?
- -How many Chaperones brought a sandwich?
- -How many total sandwiches were eaten?
- Trevin went to the baseball game and sat in the bleachers during batting practice. 60 baseballs were home runs hit into the crowd. 3/15 of the baseballs went into the pool. 6/18 baseballs were hit into foul territory The rest of the baseballs were hit into the bleachers. How many baseballs were hit where Trevin was sitting?
- If Trevin caught 1/5 of the baseballs hit in his section. How many baseballs did Trevin catch?